- Creating custom solutions using PHP for Wordpress or Drupal
- Understanding web infrastructure to create highly-performant and scalable features.
- Passionately keeping pace with rapid innovation in web technologies.
- Working with project management to estimate new project opportunities.
- Working closely with clients on project engagements to deliver exceptional code, consulting and advice.
- 2+ years experience developing onPHP content management systems like Drupal or Wordpress
- Understanding of object-oriented design patterns,
- Familiarity with ES6 syntax and methods.
- Experience creating and consuming RESTful web APIs
- Experience with test automation: TDD, unit/integration/functional testing.
- Experience with HTML5, CSS3, cross-browser and device development.
- Use of Git for version control in past professional roles.
- Experience working on enterprise projects.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills in English.
- Intellectual curiosity and passion for making really cool stuff for the web.
- Ability to self-direct in a fully distributed work environment.
- Professional, yet personable demeanor. You must be able to represent yourself and Four Kitchens to our clients, other members of your team, and to open-source communities at large.
- Desire to engage with the open source community via code contributions, projects, presentations, blog posts, etc.
Annual salary of $80,000 to $90,000, depending on experience, plus benefits.
- Generous time off policy. We plan for each team member to take up to 25 days of time off annually. Take time when you need it and own your destiny!
- Paid holidays – including days such as MLK Day, 4K Founding Day,
- and a Winter Holiday (usually a full week).
- $2,000 annual professional development and education budget. This can be spent on conferences, seminars, classes — anything that advances your professional goals.
- 100% paid medical insurance for employee, including dental and vision.
- 100% paid life and disability insurance for employee.
- 3% Safe Harbor non-elective employer 401k contribution.
- $150/month tech budget to spend on your home office and equipment needs.
- Flexible scheduling and working remotely.
- An excellent work environment filled with smart, funny people who love what they do.
About Four Kitchens
Four Kitchens is a leading digital strategy firm with strong roots in the open-source and free-culture communities. We build websites and apps to engage audiences on virtually any device, in our pursuit of setting knowledge free. We hire developers, designers, and strategists with strong consultative skills and a desire to make a difference, both to our clients and to each other.
Our Values and Culture
Our Web Chefs bring more than their professional skills to the kitchen and we encourage everyone to help guide the direction of our company. We all have a strong voice in what we do and how we do it. Collectively, our values—The Way Of the Web Chef—guide how we interact with each other, our colleagues, and our clients. Four Kitchens is not just a company — it's a closely knit team. We believe in the power of individuals coming together to do something bigger than they could have done alone.
We believe good talent is where you find it and, as a distributed team, we’re excited to be pioneers in what we believe is the future of work-culture. Even though we have no physical office, we strive to remain a collaborative community using tools like Slack and Zoom. The Web Chefs span four time zones and our goal is for team members to feel like they are working together in the same room, even if they're thousands of miles apart.
We care for our teammates as people, which is why we have an generous PTO policy, encourage time off, and have a great benefits package. Not only do we strive to maintain a good work-life balance, but we also participate in interesting and creative projects outside of client work to expand our abilities.
We hope you'll join us!
Include the following materials with your application:
- Cover letter. We can see your experience on your resume, so use this as an opportunity to tell us about yourself and what you value. Tell us about why you think Four Kitchens is the right workplace for you.
- Samples of your recent coding work. Public contributions on Github are a bonus, but any recent work is helpful. We are looking for a code sample that will be a good starting point for a conversation about your experience and development philosophy. If the sample you provide is part of a team effort please describe your personal contribution. Feel free to redact or obfuscate any client-identifying info. If you cannot show us actual code, please be prepared to describe your coding philosophy and standards in detail.
Four Kitchens is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, political affiliation, personal appearance, pregnancy, family responsibilities, matriculation, or any other characteristic protected under federal, state, or local law.